Homemade - Pepsi
A new marketing strategy for Pepsi Homemade to disrupt the beverage industry and become a billion dollar brand.
How can Pepsi Homemade - Sodastream develop a new marketing strategy for Pepsi Homemade to disrupt the beverage industry and become a billion dollar brand?
Key findings/ Opportunities
- Long-time Pepsi fans want the flavor they’ve used (adding more or less gas will create a different taste, for example), so they don’t see the benefit of buying caps instead of cans/bottles.
- Sodastream loyalists purchased the machine to escape soda in flavor of healthier drink alternative. Pepsi “healthier” soda caps aren’t enough, because “healthier drink is anything not Pepsi or Coke.”
- A price of buying a cap is more expensive than a price of buying a can/bottle
Pepsi Homemade is catch in no-man land.
Opportunity: The rise of craft beer/soda
- Beverage disruptor case study: The craft beer industry has disrupted the “big beer” industry and now makes up 20% of total beer sales in the U.S, which amounts to $19.5 billion.
- Craft soda’s popularity is on the rise and is reported to have the potential to mirror craft beer’s annual growth of 15%+ a year. In order to successfully leverage the craft experience, Pepsico needs to overcome the perception that craft soda is “anything not Pepsi or Coke.”
The beauty of craft soda is not the actual beverage, but the process of exploration, creativity and boldness behind each sip.
Target audience: Generation Z is the ideal target for Homemade by Pepsi because of their bold nature, entrepreneurial/creative spirits, and their $600 billion influencing power in family purchases.
Product update: Create a new product system to help people create their own craft soda. Homemade by Pepsi will come out with “Classic” bases and “Craft” bases in order to enhance the experience with SodaStream, and promote maximum customization of beverages made. We will also launch a line of “Toppers” to emphasize mixing and exploration of flavors with SodaStream.
Creative concept: “NO RULE FOR TASTEMAKERS.“
Convince Gen Z that they are the tastemakers, and that Pepsi Homemade is a way for them to exercise creativity in a fun and tasty way.
1. Influencer video content on Instagram, Snapchat, Youtube. (no FB and Twitter, because they are for “drama” and “commentary”)
2. Snapchat filters
Point of Sale
1. Packing: updates the packaging in order to take up less shelf space. This allows for extra shelf space for the new line of Toppers. Provide 6-pack mix and match containers.
2. Sampling some craft soda mix for parents
1. DIY bottle skin: design your own bottle and golden bottle for the top voted recipes of the month
2. App/Emoji recipes: create and share your craft soda drinks with icon recipes.
3. Youtube #tastmakers contest (like Junior Masterchef)
Khuyen Le, Luisa Contaifer, Daren Lifferth, Perry Lowder, Emily Smith