KIM LE 101
- My first name is Kim Khuyen. It means “Golden Ring”. Asians love everything golden.
- My first college major was Tourism and Hotel Management, and like 83% of all students I discovered that I was not interested in any jobs in that field.
- So, at 21, with my rear view mirror and $1000 in my pocket, I left my country to take an exciting job at McDonald’s in what I thought was Alexandria, Virginia, the beautiful suburb of Washington, D.C. It seems I got my data mixed up and had applied for a position in Alexandria, Louisiana, a town with less than 50,000 people. Quite a contrast to the sophisticated metropolitan area of DC!
- 2009-2010 is a time of global financial crisis. I went back to Vietnam to work and study at the same time for my second degree. Of course, I had to deal with numbers everyday to make sure I had enough money to pay for my next bill.
- Life started to turn more “golden” for me when I entered the marketing world, even though my parents were very worried at the beginning as they thought I would have to put up billboards or give out leaflets at super markets. Believe me, 80% of Vietnamese parents I have talked to have no idea about marketing or advertising.
- My father didn’t want me to study or work abroad because 95% of his friends had already become grandfathers.
- I follow my instincts 99% of the time.